Tip: Open QlikView Without Data in Windows Explorer

I often use the Open ‘MyQVW’ Without Data option in Recently Opened Documents:

This is especially useful for quickly looking at the script or UI of very large QVWs, without having to wait for all the data to load (if you can open it at all away from your server!)

My trivial (but I find handy) tip is to add a QlikView Without Data option to the Windows SendTo context menu, so that I can right-click and open any QVW this way, even if it’s not in the Recently Opened Documents list:

To accomplish this, simply:

  • Navigate to the SendTo directory (on Windows 7 for instance, type shell:sendto into the start search field and hit Enter to open it)
  • Create a QlikView Without Data.cmd file in the SendTo directory, containing the following two lines:
start "QlikView" QV.exe /nodata %*
if errorlevel 1 pause

And Presto! my humongous QVW opens in less than a second.

One tiny tweak would be to remove the .cmd extension from the context menu to make it more similar to the other items in the menu. One can for instance move the .cmd file to a different directory, and then create a shortcut (which doesn’t need an extension) in the SendTo directory that points to the .cmd file.

Hope it helps!

QlikView Horizontal Table Issue with +40 Fields

I discovered the following issue with Horizontal tables (Straight Table > Properties > Presentation > Horizontal) in the AJAX ZFC client:

The chart only displays the first 40 fields; any further fields added beyond the first 40 are not displayed. Fields beyond 40 are exported to Excel OK, and also work perfectly fine in the Windows desktop client, but I couldn’t find any way to get more than 40 to display in the AJAX client.

This was tested on QlikViewServer 64-bit Edition (x64), 10.00.9088.7, with English (United Kingdom) settings running on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (64 bit edition), using the QlikView web server, and using several different browsers.

QlikTech has logged this as issue 44912, which (at least according to QV10/11 release notes) haven’t been fixed yet.

UPDATE 2012-07-01: QV10 Service Release 5 includes a fix for this issue!

As a temporary workaround, I ended up using two tables, the second one displaying field 41 to 70 and with a Layout > Show > Conditional set to:


so that the second table only displays when there is a single record selected. This avoids the two tables potentially showing data from different records through scrolling.

Do let me know if you find a better workaround, or if this is already working in your environment.